Originally Posted By: Dr.House
I disagree about Titanium produces a crisper, slightly brighter sound, and silk a smoother, warmer sound. The type of material used does not ultimately dictate this. I have listened to speakers tha use silk dome tweeter that have "brighter" sound characteristic. I read this all the time that silk dome tweeters automatically produce smoother highs, this is misinformation and it is also used in the opposite to direction that speakers that use titanium tweeters are automatically bright.

This more has to do with the crossover integration/design with the tweeter. An easy example of what can cause a speaker to be bright is having tweeter level set too high with respect to the woofer.

This is a cut and paste job but it's 100% the truth.

"Metal tweets have the same drawbacks that metal mids do. While their resonance occurs past the intended frequency range (usually), you still have harmonics (primarily 2nd and 3rd order harmonics) that can excite the resonance of the cone or dome. In midranges, you can cross the driver around 2 octaves below the resonance to counter this. With a tweeter, this isn't possible since you want it to play to 20khz, and resonance typically occurs around 25khz for a 1" tweeter. That is a big reason why metal tweets have the bad rep instead of metal midranges/midbasses. The main thing out there to counter this harsh sound is to have a superior motor design that has very low distortion. Basically, if you're going to get a metal tweeter, either get a really good one or forget it altogether. A cheap metal dome will sound horrible compared to a cheap silk."

Solid-State