I sent out an email yesterday explaining to JC that even with a new amp and all new drivers, the EP800 is still not working properly. In it I suggested they fully inspect and test an EP800 and send it to swap out with this unit. I'm dying to know if this is truely a flaw in the cabinet or something, or if it's just a characteristic of the EP800, and Axiom subwoofers as a whole??? It's hard for me to believe that this is the way all Axiom subs perform... if so, then I simply can't fathom all of the praise that's been heaped onto them both in publications as well as here on this forum.

I could never accept the way mine has performed as a normal characteristic of a subwoofer that costs as much as the EP800 costs. Expecially when you take into account that it's a factory direct company that is supposed to be saving it's customers a lot of money. If Axiom speakers are supposed to perform on par with speakers costing up to twice their ticket price, then the EP800 should be able to compete with subs costing upwards of $4000+ dollars. That's some serious cabbage, and I can easily bottom this unit out at levels well below reference level playback. That simply should not be something I should be able to do. The add says, "...it tightly controls the signals to the 800-watt power amplifier and two massive 12-inch aluminum drivers with dual 3-inch voice coils to provide you with peak performance, never going over the edge into distortion. Crank it up - XLF makes the EP800 unbreakable"! Well, unfortunately this has not been the case with my EP800. I want to hear that unbreakable sub. If a replacement sub could sound as great as mine does during musical passages, and hit as low as it does WITHOUT bottoming out or clanking like it does, then I think I would definately keep it. It still isn't as loud as I would have thought it'd be, but I am satisfied with the level of output it currently produces enough to keep it anyway.

But the clanking has to go. I didn't pay two grand for my HT to start 'popping' during LFE moments in a movie nor reproduce anything at all but that which I was intended to hear out of a movie's soundtrack. If I didn't hear the clanking sound at the theater when Iron Man came storming out of the cave, then I shouldn't hear a clanking sound when he comes storming out of it in my living room. I am willing to keep on searching for a sub that will meet my expectations if I must. But, I'm still holding out on the wild possibility that it's somehow related to the cabinet. I guess we will see.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD