Yes, I moved the speaker around in several different locations. Everytime the sound came from the speaker itself and not anything in the vicinity. I know how it looks, what with me and the woman both swearing that the speakers were running out of phase, when in fact the battery test proved otherwise. But I'm as certain as I can possibly be that the speaker itself is making this noise.

It actually sounds just like SRoodes did that he was having problems with. He thought his was hitting a wire or something and had talked about inspecting everything when the new amp came. I don't recall how his ordeal was resolved. But I remember thinking the exact same thing when the sound first introduced itself in my EP800. When I took the amp out I taped the speaker wire back to one of the braces to rule that out. Then I watched the speakers work from the inside to see if I could see anything at all that they could be hitting. But to date I've tried everything I can think of trying, and the sound is still there during really low frequency emitions. In fact I was playing some Tupak today and it started bottoming out during one of his songs.

It's actually quite rare during music playback. That Tupak song, and Madonna's 'Rain' are the only two that come to mind that I can specifically remember hearing the popping sound. But movies are a different story, at least 50 percent of movies will push it to bottom out (when I say 'bottom out' I only use that expression because that most accurately discribes what it sounds like it's doing. It may be something altogether different, but it sounds exactly like a speaker bottoming out). And as Zimm and others have pointed out, that's not something one should just 'accept' out of a speaker of this caliber.

And I imagine Axiom expects better out of their speakers as well. It certainly wouldn't do them any favors if I had my friends and family over watching a movie and it started making that disturbing sound. They would quietly make note of the brand and stay as far away from it as possible. And I wouldn't blame them, it really does become annoying while watching movies.

Last edited by Micah; 09/03/09 12:20 AM.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD