Hi seeking, using a subwoofer with speakers for music should present no problem if you calibrate the subwoofer to match the SPL of the M22s like jakewash said. Doing this is similar to turning the 2-way M22 into a 3-way speaker like the M80 or M60. You’re adding another driver and a crossover to divide up the signal. The only noticeable difference I’ve heard with the M22 + sub setup vs the M80 + sub setup is more forceful mid and upper bass with the M80 combo. However, if I hadn’t A/B compared them I might not have ever know there would be a difference.

In some ways the M22 + sub combo can actually be better then using towers. Reason is most of the time you can’t place a speaker in one place in a room that gives both the best bass response and the best stereo imaging at the same time. Using a separate subwoofer allows you to do this.

Like michael_d and others mentioned above the M22s + are not a replacement for M60s or M80 for all circumstances, but I think it’s an ideal compromise for your situation. You will be able to get outstanding sound for both music and movies much sooner than if you had to wait to save the money for towers. And once you buy towers (some like JohnK haven’t felt the need) the M22s can become wide, height rear or whatever other new speaker position is needed in the future, or zone B speakers for another room.

Also having M22s now gives you more flexibility in the future as you upgrade your system. I was in the same boat as michael_d in that my screen size was going to be limited by the height of my M80s even after finding a room with a vaulted ceiling. I also considered downsizing to the M60 but eventually realized the slightly smaller screen was still way big enough. Point is that by locking yourself into towers early it could dictate other aspects of your setup. Or necessitate selling speakers to get smaller replacements.

There’s also nothing that says you’re next upgrade after the M22 + sub cant be a pair of M60s or M80s. Just move the M22 to surround duties until you can pick up a pair of QS8s. So I wouldn’t worry about not getting towers right away as by going this route your will get an outstanding sound system early and have an upgrade path the takes advantage of your previous purchases.

Cheers,
Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1