Originally Posted By: Dr.House
I have never listened to the HD555 but the Sony MDR-7506 are not gonna "blow you away". They are a closed reference level studio monitor that have a dead accurate response. Its not going to be a "fun" or "exciting" headphone, its just going to be neutral. The 7506 is pretty much the most commonly used headphone in radio and professional studio applications. Why? Because of the neutrality and they are cheap (cost that is).

Well, the neutrality is one of the major reasons to like Axiom, right? Or are you saying that closed headphones are basically like listening to Axiom loudspeakers in an anechoic chamber, and that it's the room interactions that give my speakers their life?

Upon further listening with both pairs of headphones, I think the Sennheisers edge out the Sonys in clarity and openness. Sometimes the Sonys make the vocals more prominent, though, which can be beneficial. For now I'm favoring the Sennheisers, but that can change depending on the track. I still like both pairs, but I'm curious to try more expensive offerings at some point.