Ahem. This thread reminds me of an Allman Brothers jam from 30 years ago - "everybody go do your own thing and meet me back here in 20 minutes".

The title of the thread also reminded me of Zappa's classic "Return of the Son of Shut Up n Play Yer Guitar"

Gas Grills! I adore a magazine called "Cook's Illustrated". It is expensive, because it has no advertising - kind of like Consumer Reports for kitchen gadgets and recipes. There is an associated PBS show called "America's Test Kitchen" and books by founding editor Christopher Kimball. They did a big ol' test (as they are wont to do) and settled on the Weber Genesis line of grills.

I recently paid the plumber (eeeuuwww) to run some natural gas to my kitchen and ... patio. So I was in the market for a NG grill. I have heretofore been devoted to charcoal. I got a good deal on a Weber Genesis Gold B (about $100 off at $469 at a local store).

I am very pleased so far. The people at Weber seem to really know how to design outdoor cooking appliances. And I'm finding new ways to impart the wood flavors I value.

One of the problems with this kind of thing is that many grills simply do not get hot enough. I have no complaints; the full-on gas from the new grill is just as hot as my usual pile of charcoal (no small feat). Fat steaks are 6 minutes a side to medium, and nicely charred.

Anyway, if you use it that much, don't scrimp.

I personally had no interest in the side burner thing. The chances of me getting ALL the cooking done outside are virtually zero.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled digression.

Beer. Pike Kilt Lifter Scottish. Yum yum yum yum yum.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem