Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
Also, if you're installing left and right walls, sacrifice a little width in the back, to make the room taper, like a parallelogram when viewed from above. This will go a long way to preventing standing waves.

Thanks for the ideas, Chris. I'll show my dad your posts.

I assume you mean trapezoid, not parallelogram. At most, I could start angling one of the side walls at some point. If you look earlier in the thread, you can see a (former) friend's mock-up of what the basement would look like. Some of our ideas have strayed since then, but the basic layout is pretty close.

The right wall is the basement's concrete perimeter. It already has the 2x4s, insulation, and drywall from a while ago. I'm sure we want something like that on the face of the concrete all of the way around, but I'm not sure if there's a more ideal insulation/drywall combo than what's up. There is already a left wall up in the existing layout, but it will be taken out to do the flooring, then put back up in whatever way we decide to put it back up. As you can see, however, the wall doesn't extend the whole length of the basement, instead opening into the little kitchen area. Even if I angle the wall, it will still have to stop before that kitchen area, and I'm not sure how much benefit it would be versus the space lost.