Here's a link to some free test tone files to help with stereo speaker placement. Just put your player into repeat track mode to keep the signal going. The tracks are about 1/2 way down the page. http://www.eminent-tech.com/main.html

I found the 1000hz tone very useful to adjust the toe in. Moving forward and back in my listening position there was a point where it audibly snapped into focus. That position for me was forward of my listening position so I reduced the toe in on the speakers by a 1/4 inch (this translates into a change of about 2" where I sit). Now I can move forward and back several feet with no noticeable change. Since 1/4" adjustments are hard to gauge I find that placing a laser level on the top of the speaker and then tracking the dot position on the wall makes it much easier. I use a piece of masking tape on top of the speaker at the front and back marked with a line for the center of the speaker to ensure consistent laser alignment. On speakers with straight sides this isn't needed but the angled sides of the Axiom's makes it necessary. I put a sticky note on the wall with a dot in the middle that aligns with the centerline of the speakers and my listening spot. Then measure out from that spot equally left and right and put stickies as targets to aim for when adjusting the speakers. This is especially helpful with speakers on spikes because you can change the alignment by 1/4" just by pushing down to set the spikes.