JohnK believes all (well designed) solid state amps of equal output sound the same at any given sound level. There are many who disagree with this theory.

Neverthless, the Onkyo 807 has a very strong amplifier section, stable with 4 ohm rated speakers. That having been said, I'm watching a Cox Cable 5.1 broadcast of the "Event." I'm using a Sony TA E9000ES processor (pre-DTS), an Anthem PVA 5 (5 channel) amplifier, a pair of Michaura M665 front L/R speakers (like the Axiom M60s [2 x 6.5" and 1 x 6.25" Axiom drivers and a 0.75" titanium tweeter], a VP150 center channel, a pair of Mission 77DS surround speakers a Dahlquist PDQ1500 15" subwoofer.

The sound quality is stunningly excellent. My last integrated surround receiver was an Onkyo 797. There is no comparison in sound quality. Maybe it's the difference between processors. Maybe it's the amplifier section compared to the Anthem separate. I don't know.

Years ago, I had a Sony STRDB 1070 receiver. The Sony amp section was weak. I used it as a processor, a pair of Onkyo M282 2 channel amps and aKenwood KA9100 for front L/R. The Sony using outboard amps sounded better, even at relatively low volumes.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.