I have a sensitive ear...I can tell minute differences in sound. I just traded up my M60's for M80's and could immediately tell the greater detail and overall forwardness as compared to the 60's. In fact two of my classical recordings were being played rather loudly and at some climaxes I thought the tweeter was broken as the music sounded distorted. I was disturbed but then played other pieces, better recorded, and the sound was pristine. These are wonderful speakers and I am happy I made the trade.

I also noticed a distinct difference in the quality of sound when I exchanged receivers. From the Technics (circa 1990's) to the Denon (circa late 1980's). The Denon was distinctly better.

So, I am anxious to maximize the sound emanating from the 80's by investing in separates. I am looking at Parasound, NAD, Rotel, Classe, among others. But there seem to be many who read this forum who do not think there is an audible difference. So this is a debatable point.

I'd like the "die hard" separate folks to chime in and indicate the advantages of separates. Are they easy to set up in 5 or 7 channel surround (my preference for future expansion to HT)? Is there a dedicated subwoofer LFE output?
In your opinion have you noticed a distinct improvement in sound quality vis a vis say a Denon AVR like the 4310 or 4311? Suggestions for a pre/pro & amp @ about $2000 or less would be welcome.

Certainly I would like to hear from those who find little difference between separates and an AVR. I am aware of the greater value of AVR's with more bells and whistles at lower cost. But superior sound from any source is my goal. Thanks everyone....