Thanks for the quick reply. And yes I would agree that the burning smell, or more like a hot electrical smell for lack of a better term, is not normal. But both amps have done it. Quite strange.

Thing that gets me is when he told me the other night that there was nothing wrong with my first amp?! Maybe that's just the standard response, or maybe they never even checked it. Who knows. I just hate to be a pain in the butt to them and want to be sure. If there's really nothing wrong with it then I would feel quite foolish and hate to put the folks at Axiom through the process of returning and sending another one. But I'm out of ideas and don't want it to completely die 3 days out of warranty.

Seems I'm not alone though. Been reading about a few failures here with similar problems / issues / diagnosis. Just read about the "helicopter effect" and that hit home. Sounds about right.

But why would these problems be intermittent? Seems to me when an electrical component dies it should just be dead. Though my knowledge of such things isn't precise.

Have others had multiple failures? What is it in these amps that is giving up the ghost? And have these failures been intermittent over a few weeks or months til completely dead?