I had an interesting dream the other day that got me thinking about how the mind works.

Basically, I was in a city and there was what was supposed to be this really cool old abandoned jail that everyone was talking about. There were guys, kind of like carnival barkers, trying to sell people tickets to go tour it. No one could give any details about what was so great about it, but it was very hyped up. It was $90 a ticket to go tour it. So I said to myself I'm not paying that much. Some of the barkers had a discount deal though. They said there was the front door, and then another door just inside once you go in. If I could get through the 2nd door before the first one closes, it would only cost $15 a ticket. After debating it I finally said sure, I'll give it a try. I ran through the door and got through the 2nd one in time, then the first one closed. I kept going forward and there were more and more doors to go through down a long hallway. Eventually I realized the whole thing was a trick. There were just more and more doors to keep going through down this endless hallway, and the original door I went through to get in was locked, so I could not go back the way I came.

The interesting part of this dream to me was that in the beginning I was trying to figure out what was so great about this place to tour, was skeptical of the whole idea, but couldn't figure it out and finally got suckered in to try it.

Meanwhile, in some other part of my mind I must have known what was really going on, as once I got through the door I was trapped by this trick. Did the dream just evolve that way, or did I fool myself in the dream? I feel like I should have been able to figure out there was nothing behind the doors, since my mind developed that part of the dream for me once I went through the doors.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting from a how the mind works standpoint. I believe there was an old thread about strange dreams people had, so feel free to start it up again with this or to talk about my dream.