Originally Posted By: pmbuko
What? Bovine milk causes osteoporosis? May I see the data that helped you reach this conclusion?

If you cite the fact that countries where milk consumption is much lower than the US tend to have lower rates of osteoporosis (which is true), you must remember that correlation is not causation. Lifestyle, diet, and genetic differences cannot be ignored.

I've read about this and I'm not really seeing a hard link. It's true that milk is totally unnecessary for good health, but to pass on unverified claims is irresponsible.

Peter, unfortunately I was writing up my reply well you posted. As you'll see in my post above, I did say that it's "widely believed", and that it warrants some consideration.

Here's one study that I pulled up in a pinch- link .

On another note, it's generally accepted that the Mediterranean diet is the healthiest diet, or one of the healthiest diets that you can follow. I don't know if you would consider this as fact, but if you apply the same standards that you aforementioned - "you must remember that correlation is not causation. Lifestyle, diet, and genetic differences cannot be ignored.", then it would wholly discredit any data collected on the advantage of the Mediterranean diet, no?

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.