My speaker's finally arrived. I settled on the M80's, QS 8's and VP180. Man is that center big! The wife kept asking me "did I need that one that big?" Later, when we watched LOTR - BD edition, she noted how clear the dialog was, so the question became moot. Setting up didn't take long and I ran the receiver's speaker setup (Pio's MCACC) all in about an hour.

First impressions. I played Saving Private Ryan, the opening battle scene. I was immediately dismayed at how loud I had to crank the volume to get descent sound. Later I discovered the Poineer's MCACC had reduced all the speakers by -7 db (average). I believe my HT room is too reflective and the receiver had to reduce everything for it's adjustments. I'll have to get the spl meter from work to adjust things myself. I set the MCACC to off and things improved immediately. Also I'm going to look into sound deadening for the room.

After this test I put on a few cd's. One thing I've read about these speakers being unforgiving is true. Only well recorded material shines! I tried both 2 channel and 7 channel stereo. Both were excellent but I preferred the 7 channel. I walked all around the room and noticed the sound completely filled in everywhere I stood. The full and seemless sound of these speakers is amazing. Later we settled down to watch LOTR's "The Two Towers" in BluRay. As I said before the dialog was steller. I also noted that campared to my old speakers the differences were more subtle than I expected. This was surprising since my old speakers were largish bookshleves of a 2 way design.

The sound and movie (LOTR) is very familar to me so comparing differences were easy to spot. Clearity and dialog were improved. Dynamic's were very close with the new system edging out the former. Bass to high range again were similar. However the real differences were in the subtetly's of the overall sound. Like comparing fine wines or scotches (pick your poison). Sounds I have become accustomed to were more varied and detailed. There is more texture in all sound ranges. These new speakers are more an improvement in quality than quantity, compared to my old speakers.

I have much more work and testing to do, as evidenced above. If anybody has suggestions regarding Pioneer Elite receiver's and setting's please chime in! As for my HT room, it's 20' x 11.5' x 7.5', just on the lower side, sizewise, for running this system. Sound deadening to deal with relections I feel will best be addressed at the end's of the room. We sit a little further back than half way, about 14'. The QS 8's are located at this point along the side wall at about 6 - 6.5' high. If anyone has suggestions for reducing reflections let me know!

M80's, VP180 and QS8's.
Marantz AV 7005 pre/pro
Outlaw 7700 power amp
SVS SB12 sub