There seem to be two or three different questions being discussed here, making it difficult for the discussion to make progress).

One question is "are people who spend a lot of time with a particular brand of speaker able to recognize the sound of their brand in a double-blind test ?". The answers to this question seem to lean towards "yes".

Another unspoken question is "would people who recognize their brand of speaker consciously or unconsciously choose it over an otherwise better speaker in a double-blind test, out of loyalty to the product they own or the company they work for ?". Based on the people I have met in this business over the last decade or so, the answer is a pretty emphatic "no".

The third, and most difficult question is "does exposure to a specific brand/sound of speaker for a long period of time colour your preferences, so that your preference between speakers is biased towards the sound you are most familiar with ?". Studies seem to suggest "no" but I haven't actually seen any studies whose focus is that specific question, so I guess it remains a job for the Mythbusters (or is this where JohnK steps in with a link ?).

EDIT - adding back the "Mythbusters" reference to maintain thread continuity wink

Last edited by bridgman; 02/13/11 03:56 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8