Alan/dakkon,

Thanks for the responses. However I'm not sure what you meant by 'clipping'... I am guessing that you mean i have the volume turned up so high that the amplifier in the receiver is overpowering the ability of the drivers to handle... Is that correct?? Is there a way for me to know whether I am in that mode? Would the receiver 'cut out' possibly, as though it was overheating and tripping a thermal breaker? Or would there be some other indicator??

Reason I say that is because my wife did say (now that I think about it) that she thought there was a problem with the receiver and that 'it just stopped working' a week or two ago... When i turned it on briefly i noted that it was working so i just dismissed it as a case of operator error, a one time fluke... Possibly she was jamming and she burned them out and I just didn't do enought testing?

Just noodling the room and adjacent rooms. Great room is 17x17 feet. Assuming the main floor is say 10 foot that would be a volume of 2890 cubic feet. Guesstimate half again for the cathedral ceiling so call it about 4500 cubic feet. The adjacent dining room is 12x14x10... Call it another 1700 cubic feet. The foyer/entry/stairs abutting the great room would be appx 15x7x18 for 1890 cubic feet. So a reasonable guesstimate would be about 8100 cubic feet (give or take a bit).... Knowing that, what are your thoughts??

Regarding loud... My ears haven't bled so it couldn't be loud....