So I was about to order my Green Glue today from The Sound Proofing Company (those people who visit AVS Forums may have seen Ted White's name over there as he is one of the 2 guys running the place). Anyway, I talked to John from there and we had a good conversation about my plans, where I am at, so on and so forth. He thought that my walls, outlets, soffits, etc were all solid plans, but my ceiling was my weakest link... By a lot... Crap. I knew that already, but was hoping that some insulation and Green Glue would be "enough"...

So we talked about clips and hat channel. The thing that I was hoping to avoid since I don't want to lose ceiling height, and the stupid clips I've seen run at least $4 a piece... Anyway, he said that the way he would do it would be to put some 2x4 pieces between my ceiling/floor joists every 4 feet. Raise it up a little bit so that it isn't flush with the joists, but sort of "recessed" up a little bit. He said to make sure that the channel sticks down about half an inch below the joists to make sure that the drywall ceiling is decoupled.

Hmmm... I lose half an inch is all... My ceiling height in the unfinished room is 7 feet 10 inches, so it isn't real high, but it is only half an inch more instead of almost 1.5 - 1.75 inches lost doing it perpendicular to the joists themselves...

So anyway, we start talking price. Now I need to get exact calculations of how much I need, but it was looking like another $250 TOPs (probably closer to $225) to put in hat channel and get about twice the sound control over double drywall, Green Glue, and insulation alone. Hmmmm.....

Their discount for the GG and the speed loader for both calling in and for being an AVS member put the GG alone about $75 less than what I was expecting to pay, so mentally it is about $150-$175 more for a lot better performance (plus the cost of some 2x4s of course.

hmmmm hmmmmm hmmmmmm.....

Farewell - June 4, 2020