Originally Posted By: fredk
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
Originally Posted By: PerfectDrug
Thinking maybe the 125 is too small then. Or how about dual 125's, if not a 175?

I'd stay away from the 125. I think you would be disappointed in anything but the smallest of applications/rooms. When I think 125, I'm thinking along the size/power range of a good PC speaker setup.

The 175 is a better option, but I doubt it'd keep up with the M80's. It's better suited to the M2/M3/M22 sized speakers.

CatDude is right.

I listen to a lot of electronic music....downtempo, trip hop, dubstep, etc. Maybe a better option would be saving for a set of M80s. I wasn't sure of the impact they would have in the bass department, but seems like it would be more than enough. My little bookshelves are lacking right now but guess I can wait.

So, What kind of music are you listening to? Unless it is music with considerable content below 35 Hz, a sub will add nothing to a pair of M80s. On most of the rock/pop/Jazz music I listen to, I can't tell the difference between M80s alone and M80s with my EP350 (I've done the comparison several times). Now, put on something like one of Bach's organ pieces and the sub contributes significantly to the music.

Some of the instruments that I know that can play below 35 Hz are: Upright bass, electric double bass, bassoon, Tuba, piano (not sure how often those lower registers are used), synth. There are probably a few others.

Considering the cost of the EP125/175 I would think about going directly to the M80. UNLESS you listen to music that has a significant contribution from the types of instruments I listed above. In that instance, I would go to the EP350 now and The M80s when the time is right.

On the real wood, it depends what you are after. The vinyl finishes are very, very good. But... if you want speakers that make you go WOW when you look at them, real wood is worth the money. I simply didn't have the money when I picked up my system.