Then add furniture and it looks bigger again...

I think that it is all about a point of reference.

We don't live in homes without wall coverings (drywall, plaster, logs, whatever) so our brains don't process the space correctly. We also don't live in houses without furniture, so without a size reference, we have a difficult time seeing what can fit. I mean, the pictures make the room still seem small, but when I lay out how much space will be used by the seats and such, I end up with a good amount of space left over, so I know that in the end it will be a nice size.

Paint, now that is debatable. Some argue that it can make a room look larger...
Brighter paint on the walls and darker trim "feels" bigger than darker (not just dark) walls with light colored trim.

I've read that soft tones of blue and green maximize the "larger feeling" effect.

Of course, this is a theater. The shades will be a little darker, and the trim will be just a couple of shades darker than the white trim in the rest of the house (against the darker walls, it will have the contrast illusion of being white without being "too" white)...

Who cares though. I mean, as long as the screen looks big enough, the seats are comfy, and the sound is amazing, I don't care too much.

Farewell - June 4, 2020