My "friend" Bob stopped by for a little while today. He came to listen to the new amp. He was his usual charming self while complimenting the Pioneer but only gave the 80's a furtive glance. And I had just dusted them. He was averting his eyes to them and literally squirming in the chair. I initially thought it was the vinyl speakers but perhaps it was because it was a La z Boy recliner (In leather, Bob, LEATHER). Anyhoo, he finally demands that I put the grilles back on the 80's so the "nude" look of the grille would camouflage them better and would no longer diminish his viewing experience. I was a little hurt but I kept a brave face.
He had also come over expecting me to give him back one of his cds. I couldn't find it. He didn't see me hide it in my Pothos after he looked down his nose at my vinyl 80's one more time.

Other notes of interest during our listening session:

1. I introduced him to Holly Cole. He agreed it was a brilliantly recorded CD but I couldn't ask him more about it because he fell asleep.

2. After hearing my amp and comparing it to his own we are forming a hypothesis that all amps sound the same.

3. We are saving money and selling things so we can buy a pair of the new speakers and the the necessary amplifiers. Bob has all the details. It was bigger news then when he told me who Big Wires was. Don't PM him. He won't tell. He only told me after I promised our new speakers would be made with a laminate from a wooden pew from the Old North Church.

M3 and
M80