Originally Posted By: Bayne
I've been playing with the settings on my Denon AVR-3808CI for about a week and stumbled on this blog on the Audyssey site:

Audyssey Blog: Large vs Small

It tells me to only use the LFE setting, never the LFE+Main, and that if I have a subwoofer, to set all speakers to small. This is interesting because when I run the Audyssey MultiEQ on my Denon, it sets my M60's and VP160 to large, and everything else to small. I used to use the LFE+Main setting, but no more as I understand what the article states--which has been backed up by a few other things I've read--but just for kicks I tried setting everything to small with a crossover of 80Hz. The result seems to be most impressive. I think my speakers sound better than ever before. Yes my room has changed. Yes I've recently added a VP160. But things really do seem better. I'm no 100% sold until I get a second opinion in my listening environment, but I was wondering if anyone else was aware of this theory and has any comments?

Regardless of what the so-called "pundits" might say or what ever you may read about various opinions on these topics, when it comes to sound let your ears be the final arbiter of what sounds good and what doesn't. There are no absolutes in A/V and these differences are essentially quite subtle and dependent on the electronics and of course your room environment. In my case, although the difference is negligible, I have chosen to go the opposite and utilize the Large plus Mains route. To my ears and with M80s in a L/R configuration it seems to sound slightly better than applying a 80HZ crossover especially when listening to music but that's just me.