Originally Posted By: 2x6spds
Let's take a look at Obama's tax policies, especially his "Buffett Rule." The intent is not to reduce the deficit but to establish "fairness."

Just for good measure, i agree with this post to a certain degree. My undergraduate degree is in economics. the top 50% of the population supports the entire tax base. The bottom 50% of the population pay's 0 tax, they get all of their money back when they file for a refund.... IF 100% of the population helped to support the public goods that we all consume, then our federal budget would be in a much better place than it currently is....

I do not necessarily agree with the "Buffet" rule myself; but possibly for different reasons... Fundamentally, i think that everyone should pay at least something to help pay for the public goods that that are being consumed.

One prime example of public goods that EVERYONE consumes, would be the roads in the U.S. The infrastructure in the U.S. has received a D grade for the last 10 years, due to the poor maintenance habits that we have engaged in for a long time now.