I've been experimenting with Scotch for years and although I know that you are looked down upon if you aren't one of the people who enjoy the extreme peaty flavours, I'll risk saying I have not been able to acquire a taste for Lagavulin or other Islay varieties.

Sorry, but I just do not like the taste of seaweed in my drink. Just my personal preference though. Obviously, many do as the region is well known and has multiple distilleries all famous for their sea inspired blends. I also find the stronger than most iodine flavor to be a bit disconcerting.

I think my favourites are the afore mentioned and more conservative Talisker and the 18 year Glenlivet.

One thing I did learn is that there is more to the age than just a price tag. It does legitimately make a huge difference in flavour. For instance, If you were to blindly try the 12 year Glenlivet and then immediately after the 18 year variety, you would not be likely to guess that they come from the same distillery. Also the technique, even the cask wood used, can be different depending on which year/variety they plan to make.

This is why it's hard to recommend a Scotch to someone you don't know well. The variety is so broad and the range of flavours is of a ratio in the extreme. Your best bet is to experiment and enjoy the journey.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.