I've never done anything with FLAC files before. It's always .WAVs for recording/editing and 320kbit/s MP3s for wide-compatibility playback.

So tonight I downloaded FLAC files from a Gov't Mule concert I attended the other night, and I was surprised that the compatibility for playback / conversion is so low. It seems like so many of you use FLACs for everything.

I couldn't even open them in Sony SoundForge or Adobe Soundbooth... my two "go-to" programs for sound editing, and Windows Media Player wouldn't play them.

So, I Googled convertors, and WINAMP came up. "Hey...I recognize that name from posts on the Axiom forums...I'll download that!". Well, now that I have, I can't find any way to convert the files (though I've achieved playback). F1 ain't no Effin' help.

Am I missing something with WINAMP, or do those of you that do conversions use something else?

I don't mind paying for software, but this is the first and probably the last time I'll be doing anything with FLAC files and I don't really want to pay $100 or even $30 to convert this one concert...

Any help appreciated...

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::