Originally Posted By: GuitarStv
Originally Posted By: grunt

You’ve got a nice simple program going there with compound lifts that hit all the body parts that matter for building bulk. That coupled with your Jiu-Jitsu and even soccer you might want to consider giving Westside a try since it’s easily customized to any sport that emphasizes both strength and speed because of the Dynamic Effort and General Physical Preparedness work done each week. So let me know if you’re interested in it and I can post some other links that help explain it in greater detail.

Yeah thanks, if you can post some links I'd be interested in checking something else out. I seem to have stalled on my current routine.

I looked back and saw that with your present schedule you only have 2 days to workout each week which sort of sucks. If that’s the case any there’s no way you can change that then you will have to stick with full-body workouts like you’re doing now. However, there are a couple things that might help.

First is a system called Myo-reps:

http://borgefagerli.com/myo-reps-in-english/

It’s really just a programed form of clustering but it allows you to maximize muscle fiber activation with the minimum amount of reps for a given weight plus since you only wait 10-20 seconds between clusters you’re not wasting a lot of time sitting around the gym waiting to do the next set. I can easily get a Myo-rep workout consisting or Incline Bench, Chins, Military Press, Rows, Triceps Pressdowns and Cable Curls in 20 minutes. So you might consider doing a heavy light/medium split, doing a heavy day 5x5 style and a light/medium day Myo-rep style.

Another possible option is to use the Cressey Performance take on the “conjugate method which follows the same principles as Westside but with a different implementation.

http://www.syattfitness.com/6-principles-from-westside-barbell-and-cressey-performance/

Cressey also relies on Max Effort, Dynamic Effort and Repetition Effort training but the Dynamic Effort is done as a warmup to the Max Effort and the Max Effort uses a set/rep range of 3-4 sets for 3-6 reps rather than going for a max single like Westside. The Main difference it Cressey is training athletes for other sports so no need to focus on max singles as Westside does since their main focus is powerlifting.

So you could do a full body workout on each of your two days but basically add in the Dynamic Effort exercises to improve your rate of force development which should pay dividends in both soccer and martial arts which both emphasize speed at times.

Additionally if you can find the time after your martial arts training you could fit in some extra workouts using Myo-reps. These could be optional as long as you’re hitting your two main lifting days and could be used to bring up lagging muscles.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1