I just finished a four chapter demo of "Red Shirts". An intriguing and humorous concept. It's a Star Trek (ish) universe where the the ensigns and lower ranks have caught on that they are always doomed to a horrible death on away missions and that there must be some ominous reason behind it. Unfortunately, Scalzi's writing style didn't gel with me at all. I'm not sure if I'll buy the book.

Switched to "Neuromancer". Some classic science fiction (it invented the term "Cyberspace.") that I missed in the early 80s. It revolves around an ex computer hacker who 'jacks in' to a 3D Internet of sorts called, yup you guessed it, The Matrix. A former employer had him made biologically incompatible to ever do it again and so he becomes a drug addicted hustler in a futuristic, underworld city in China. Of course, he is given his ability back for one last 'do it or die' job involving a powerful artificial intelligence.

The author invented so many of his own words, slang and techno lingo that the book was actually a very frustrating read for the first 1/4 to a 1/3 but now that my brain has adapted to it, it is very intriguing. Full of over-the-top characters, plot twists and, of course, the classic "Can AI be considered a true life form?" dilemma.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.