A decent analog cable, patching from a stereo jack to the RCA jacks on your receiver, shouldn't degrade the sound as you describe, unless the run is unusually long. What is the distance involved?

Ahh !!! this may be an issue for me . The patch cable is well over 25 feet long .I wouldnt say the quality of the the sound is horrible , but not anywhere near the quality of a cd . I dont want to dump the Sirius radio subscription cuz I use it at work every day with one of their boom boxes .
So maybe I should update this old soundcard with a newer version .
Got any recomendations for an updated card ?
My plan is to build a dedicated PC strictly for listening to audio and home theatre anyway so spending a couple bucks on a decent soundard and with Toslink may be the way to go for the best results . I suppose using a Toslink would eliminate one of the reasons why my sound quality is cloudy or should I say less defined in comparison to other media sources
My rack has room for a horizontal PC . I have been researching computers that are stricly used for home theatre . Kinda pricey but I imagine you get what you pay for

M60,s Vp160 , QS8,M3,s Svs 12 . Yammy 3063 ,Panamax 5100,PS3,Optima HD80 Axiom Air