Quote:
For localized groundwater pumping, this is far more true compared to lake or river pumping.
I have yet to hear of a Canadian lake drawn down to the point of it turning to a swamp due to the use by a town or city.

True but it has happened in Australia and numerous other countries with climates much hotter than ours. Drained is perhaps too dramatic a term. Shutting down a particular reservoir though to avoid 'draining' does happen though.

Again, scope is important to consider. Closer to my home, Saint John and Fredericton both have come had to stop pumping from specific reservoirs in the last few years as they approached dangerously low levels. Of course, they both have multiple reservoirs so they still get by.

This year, several main tributaries which are part of the watershed system that is the lone reservoir for City of Charlottetown have completely dried up. It happened last year as well for the very first time but this year much larger sections have gone dry. We just have had not enough rainfall to meet the demands of the pumping. The city is calling for voluntary conservation measures but most recently, the federal government has actually warned the City that they must do more to conserve water or fix the problem. Conserve Water, Ottawa Warns Charlottetown
Very embarrassing for the City as just months ago, they felt the repercussions of ignoring the Feds. on another warning to clean up a sewage into the river issue and ended up with an ultimatum to correct the problem in two years or face financial& legal repercussions.

Quote:
I think you misunderstood.

True to some degree. I never thought about the size of the body(s) of water you were referring to and certainly had no geographic knowledge of the details of how it your system worked.
However, like my entire post, I wasn't arguing a point, merely discussing something of interest. I was merely stating that I found your situation interesting because of the limitations I explained here. Again, size is the key as to why it is different and why we think in the somewhat same but somewhat opposite ways.

Quote:
(Geothermal) Works incredibly well and energy efficient, yes.

Agreed. I would have loved to have put in a closed loop, geothermal system. I just couldn't afford to bring in somebody from out of province who was willing to do it the way I wanted it. Now, that would not be a problem as there are many more people offering the service than just the well drilling companies.

Last edited by Murph; 08/27/12 05:40 PM. Reason: used wrong markups

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.