It looks like I can actually fit the 42U StarTech rack cabinet. I read the length under "Technical Details" as 82.00 inches, but in the product dimensions, it's actually at 78 inches. 82 must be how long it is boxed? In any case, StarTech's website also lists it as 78", so I think I'm good. We could still fit it if it was 82" since we don't need the drop ceiling to extend into the media closet, naturally. Up to the joists is 83", and the addition of tile to the floor isn't going to raise it a full inch.

So I think I'm going to plan on two 42U StarTech units side-by-side in the closet. I'm thinking I'll have two doors to access the gear. One door will be opaque and match the wall, and the other glass. I'll have all of the gear I need easy access to behind the glass door, and other cabinet will house the gear I shouldn't need to get to the front of except in rare circumstances. I'll still have full access to the rears of both cabinets from the bedroom.

The Tripp Lite 72" 20-amp 24-outlet power strip I bought for the closet will be mounted in between the two cabinets somehow.

My dad said he did hear back from the designer from the first contractor yesterday, so he'll be coming with his team on Tuesday to talk with us further. I guess I'll have to wake up early that day to provide my input. The sacrifices we make....

Hopefully he can get the proposed layout drawn up in a CAD program that I can then share with all of you. While the basic layout and general shape of everything will be the same as the pictures on the first page of the thread, there will have to be some fine-tuning to where all of the rooms intersect (bedroom, bathroom, HT/kitchen).

As far as sound isolation possibilities, has anyone used this stuff or something like it?: Acoustiblok. Yes, I'm still looking for ways to add at least some level of sound isolation without double-drywalling the ceiling. My dad is set on a suspended ceiling for ease of getting to all of the wiring. This is a major compromise to any sound isolation, but I need to figure something out to better separate the ground floor and basement living spaces.