howdy and i know it's been a while with this old thread. but, after having the speakers for quite a while, i have decided to audition a pair of M2v3 on-wall speakers for my surround backs. first i want to make sure everyone understands that there is nothing wrong with the QS8v3's i am currently using and they are great speakers.

i want to see if i get a better forward projection with the M2v3 on-walls as they are directional. my seating from the current rear wall is between 12' & 15' away and while the speakers create a great soundfield i think it's just too far back for me to hear the effects well enough. even with good calibration, and the nature of the way that the QS line works the rears have to be almost "super hot" to really get what i want out of them and at that point they are drowning out the sides. with the rears i feel i do need some directionality and front facing drivers will give it to me.

my daughter is all for it because she will get the QS8v3's if this works out for her which she will have a 5 channel system with the 2-QS8v3, 2-M2v3 and a VP-100v2 and a small sub (she's a college student and got it for free so she is well ahead of the curve!)

i'll install them and try them out on movies that i've listend to already with 7 channel sound using the QS8's. i feel that (as some have indicated) the use of front firing (directional) speakers are best for surround backs. i've seen this mentioned many times from Dolby or DTS speaker setups; the rears were always front firing.

i'm sure if my room wasn't as deep as it is that the QS speakers would be perfect. as they are i think the M2v3 on-wall's will work as i want them too.

i'll keep you guys posted and of course, i can always send them back! my daughter will not be very happy to hear about that! frown

people, feel free to chime in. i hope to have the speakers by or before the end of next week. i just ordered them about 1 hour ago!

SonySXRD55"
Marantz AV7702MKII pre-amp
Emotiva XPA-5,UPA-2amps,
14 Speakers, All Axiom
Oppo 105D&93