Sigh, I agree. However, remote capability is like the whole cable system. The functionality and ability is there, including the s/w hooks and h/w capability. But the vendors all want their own spin and charge you separately for it.

Denon can do remote programming on devices like the 3310. HOWEVER, in order to get full functionality on the iOS app, it only works on 3311 and above. BUT, if you use the HTML interface, you can get to ALL the functions on a web browser. So how come you can't do that w/ an iOS app? My Series 3 Tivo works on the iOS app, but I can't see the Now Playing List. THAT only works on Tivo Premiere along with a bunch of other features. Both pretty much run similar Linux OSes and the set top box IC is all Broadcom. AND if you use a browser, you can see the Now Playing list.

The PS3 can't be controlled with an app. But you know that all that functionality IS possible, Sony just doesn't release it. You can do all of that streaming functionality and control between a PS3 and my 1st Gen PSP but we can't get a LAN controlled remote on one of the most powerful consoles? Really??!??!

Vizio came out with their own full Android tablet that would only control their TVs, Panasonic did the same. Guess how well those sold.

Sadly, until they agree on a standard or just say screw it, we'll open the access to anyone, I doubt we'll ever reach our lofty goal.