I went to see Django Unchained a while ago, but I guess I never posted about it. I liked it a lot. Tarantino is still great at keeping me stimulated. Such fun characters, such interesting situations they're put in. I can't wait to own it.

I finished watching Secret Garden, the Korean TV drama I may or may not have mentioned. It's a very oddly-told story. It starts out very normal, and then five episodes in, two of the characters swap bodies. I would have been totally surprised by that, only my sister read me the synopsis before I got to that episode. It was kind of impressive that they took the time to really develop the characters before springing that part of the story, though, and it made the whole show more interesting.

I still have a hard time recommending it, though, simply because at one point, several of the episodes have subtitle problems, where the characters are talking and talking with no subtitles, and then all of the subtitles for what was just spoken flash by. I thought I would have to stop watching because of it, but I suppose I was too drawn in. Eventually, the problem went away. Oh, and this is on Netflix. I'm not sure if the problem exists elsewhere. Anyway, weird but good story, and the female lead acts well and has some of the best expressions ever.

Which brings me to this other Korean TV drama, Dream High, which one of my online friends told me to watch. It's pretty great, too, and again, the female lead is entirely too good at her role.

She's a snobby, classically-trained singer who's going to be attending Juilliard. Only, her father turns out to be deeply in debt, and he goes into hiding, abandoning her and her young sister, to avoid his loan shark. The loan shark starts terrorizing them, and he realizes that her singing could be of value, so he pressures her to give up Juilliard and instead audition for admission into Kirin Art School, where talent agencies look for future pop stars. Of course, if she doesn't, then he'll take her younger sister away to work off the debt in some unmentioned way. She feels she's better than Kirin, doesn't think the students there have talent, but her friend (or, more accurately, follower) wants to attend, and they end up doing a joint audition.

She's always been the star, and her friend has always been in her shadow, so it's a jarring experience when the man running the audition gives her friend a pass and her a fail. She asks why, since she feels her greater talent is evident. He illustrates his reasoning by asking her to identify the pieces of music that he's blended together on the piano. She identifies the classical elements, but she fails to recognize what everyone else in the room knows is pop music. He explains that her musical prejudice makes her third-rate, and that's why she didn't pass. But she needs to get in, for her sister's sake, so she gets on her knees and begs to be let in, says she'll do anything. "Get up," the man tells her. "Begging is less than third-rate." She stands up immediately and tells him that she wasn't kneeling before him just then. "What was it I was just seeing, then?" he asks her. "I just..." she said. "I just... I just wanted to get a better look at your nostrils!"

That's the point that I knew I would keep watching. Ha ha. The show has had plenty of good moments since then. Oh, also in the first episode, they played "On the Radio" by Regina Spektor, so that was another plus.