Originally Posted By: sonicfox
How long do you all KEEP your cars? Some of you have went through a lot of them! The next question is...have you ended up hating most of your cars or do you just get sick of them and want change? I've kept mine until they became too expensive to keep fixing.

In general, we keep them until several months of repairs exceed what new car payments would be, but other factors also apply:

1977 Toyota SR5 P/U - later received a 231 V6 and TH350 trans - Became too unreliable.
1983 Honda Prelude - Can't haul a boat with it- +had >100k miles
1987 Ford Bronco - Hauled boat to Colorado River for many years - repairs got expensive after 175k miles

then I got married in '89 and Mrs Classic brought to the mix a ...
1979 FIat Strada - pumpkin orange... fuel supply issues made this one unreliable
1986 Nissan 200SX (hers) - >175k miles - would actually love to have one of these again
1993 Saturn SL1 (his) - kept this one 11 years and >190k miles - best and cheapest car I ever owned
1993 Saturn SW2 (hers) - this one had unresolved electrical issues that made driving unsafe - dealer "couldn't find problem.."
1996 Chevy Suburban (hers) - kept this one 12 years had >200k miles
1964 Rambler 770 Classic (project car - still sitting...) - did I mention still sitting? frown
2000 Cadillac Sedan DeVille (his - gift from great uncle) Flooded by Katrina
1978 Chevy El Camino (was my dads, gave to our oldest boy) Flooded by Katrina, but resurrected and kept on life support - currently replacing fuel pump with one in-tank to feed new fuel injection system.
2006 Chrysler 300C (his) - 115k miles and going strong - so far
2008 Chevy Suburban (hers) - 58k miles and just paid off!
2012 Fiat 500 POP - (My parents won it in a raffle and gave it to our middle boy who is only 15 1/2!) 500 miles and hopefully many more to come

Scott

My HT