I know, dabbling here in the realm of people potentially recommending something non-Axiom. We've all been around a while and can be honest, right?

So here is the deal.

In our basement family room, right next to the home theater, we have a 55" TV we got for Christmas. In my storage closet, I have my old VP150 that was replaced by my VP180 in the theater.

I don't really want to invest too much money into this room since it will be used for just TV watching (once we get some comfy furniture in the room) and Xbox/Wii gaming occasionally.

So, I can either drop some bucks on a soundbar/subwoofer/receiver combo that comes up on Woot from time to time and gets decent reviews, or I can get a refurbished Yamaha 5.1 receiver that is out there today for about the same price.

I need to get something along the way as my TV only has 2 HDMI inputs, and I have 3 things with HDMI outputs, but both the receiver and soundbar both have enough HDMI inputs.

Here is the deal though, if I get the soundbar, I will be done. That is what I will have, nothing more, and the VP150 will sit in the storage room forever.
Benefit: Lower cost of two options, no future upgrades.
Negatives: No future upgrades, potential lower quality sound option.

The other option is to get the receiver, and hook up the VP150.

The problem is that I will also want some small bookshelves to go with it, and it is only a matter of time before I want surrounds too.
Benefit: Best sounding from a quality and total environment.
Negatives: Cost... Big time...

I mean, why put in a 5.1 system in the family room with the home theater right next door? We have a Sony HTIB for upstairs just because it is, well, upstairs and the theater is downstairs.

So that is my dilemma. I really doubt that my wife will be for spending a bunch of bucks on sound for that room.

Help!

Farewell - June 4, 2020