Two things stand out when i read this thread.
First that some perceive their setups and ability as superior to others because they use "proper" setup methods. I thought the mantra was more of the "do what sounds good to you" around here.
If 75% gain on his sub sounds good to him, what does it matter that it is not THX method calibrated, etc. etc.?
We already know that louder sounds better to most people and many on these forums would also fall for that audio trick if you did not know anything else wasn't equal.
So why would anyone get annoyed at this person because they don't have their system all "properly" calibrated?

Second, one's opinion or suggestions are just that. An opinion. Why would you have the expectation that this person HAS to take your suggestions?
Other people don't need to take others opinions in part because people like to make their own decisions and in part because they are always other options out there. One opinion may provide only a limited set of those options. Axiom is a great company, but by no means are they the only company i talk about when discussing audio setups with people who are looking for suggestions.

I've been in Nick's situation several times and two come to mind that elicit the annoyed feeling Nick has, but my reaction was alot more muted (no rants required and i am one to rant!).

I had a good friend who knew nothing about a/v. He was doing a $100k basement reno (the guy was a VP of a large company). He had 2 choices for a/v installers. I helped him through the quotes to understand what they were offering. He went with my suggestion to go with the smaller boutique place which for the same price was going to give him on-wall speakers (Monitor Audios if i recall) and two floor standers up front. He had no interest in Axiom speakers. He thought they were too cheap (this is a person who equates dollars with quality). After talking with my friend and the installer about the on-wall options, the installer was THRILLED that my friend wasn't going to choose the lesser audio quality in-ceiling stuff, which the installer also sells, even though they were MORE expensive than in the on-wall options.
In the end, my friend switched out his speaker choices and went for the in-ceiling options.
Why?
Aesthetics. Had nothing to do with the outright cost at all.
Was i annoyed?
Nope.
Not my money.
Did he ask how i liked the sound? Of course. And i told him my opinion after i got to hear the system post-installation.
I told him i thought the sound was good quality, not particularly pinpoint for sound (more diffuse) and they sounded kind of muffled, not particularly clear. But they did provide surround sound fairly effectively in the room.
I don't think he expected me to glow about his choices but he was happy hearing that i thought they made decent surround speakers. Funny but for that price as an owner i would much rather hear they sound like truly fantastic speakers.
But my friend continues to be happy with his room because as we all know, people continue to convince themselves that what they chose and put effort into deciding upon sounds best, and as such, it does.

Second similar story re: someone i actually care about.
I gave my brother a/v advice years back when he asked me about new tvs and a good audio system. Much like Nick i suggested things like Axiom setups, a few receivers, etc.
After four, multi-page emails back and forth, i didn't hear from him for a few weeks. When i inquired, he ended up buying a decent tv (not one i suggested) and he went with a brand name HTIB for audio (or maybe it was a soundbar, i don't quite recall). He just couldn't be bothered with "all that other stuff" (wiring, and etc). He spent around $500-1k on the HTIB.
Did i care?
No, not really.
It isn't my money.
It isn't my house.
I won't be spending endless hours at his place watching anything.
AND, maybe it actually sounds good in his room.
I have no idea.

Was i annoyed that he just didn't take my advice after i had spent my own time and effort trying to get him something i thought was price conscious and high quality?
Well of course to an extent since i spent hours writing emails back and forth to him providing links for info and gear that he requested.
But i'm not going to rant about it or hold him in some kind of contempt. I just won't bother doing that anymore in the future. It isn't worth my time.

Bottom line, LET IT GO MAN!
It's not that big a deal.

Lesson learned:
Don't give out advice if you actually expect others to have to take it.

/end rant

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."