Of course, the point of the article is that we can't even get BASIC poutine right, but I do enjoy the brainstorming.

For rouxtine, I think the main question becomes whether to stick with fries as the base or try something else. I can't really visualize deep-fried-roux. Personally, I'm conflicted. I never met a potato I didn't like, and there is something just inherently noble and surprisingly elusive about a truly well done french fry. Perhaps if you wanted to tart up that part, you could fry them in exotic fat (duck?).

Or you could go to something like a fried, cheesy-biscuit extrusion.

I'd incorporate the roux as the "gravy" part of the program, using a modified (much less chunky) gumbo.

Now, as to the cheese... It doesn't seem to me that either creole or cajun cooking really have a rich, distinct cheese history. So, I need Scott's help with that.

While we're on the subject of cheese, why cheese curds and not just nice chunks (or hearty shreds) of cheddar? I'm not trying to be argumentative; I'm looking for historical and/or culinary meaning. From a sourcing standpoint, curds seem to be much more expensive where I am. Again - like the fries - I'm not sure you have to belabor the cheese part, as there are SO many good semi-soft choices. The sheer variety among cheddars is astounding.

I love it when an idea comes together.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem