Finally got my projector! (last Wednesday evening)
After the hiccup with HD.ca, I settled for a BenQ W7000 as I no longer needed all the features from the PTAE-8000 (because of originally planned 2:35 screen) and it was 1000$ less!
Results are very, very good. It took a lot less time that I feared to get basic settings right-enough for me to start watching and start accumulating patterns of issues that needed resolving.

After about 40 hours of watching, yesterday I sat down with the manual and rapidly found the main toggles that solved the issues I had found (mainly: way too high contrast, which made well lit scenes look like hand-held videos but left dark scenes great). Finally, by shutting off "Brilliant Color" and "Dynamic Black" while still using a high-contrast gamut, I managed to get everything looking great.

At this point, very little tweaking is possible without the use of measurement tools (my eyes are telling me things look great, which is the main thing!).

So my Home Theater is complete and is exceeding my expectations (for 2500$ instead of 5000$ as per the original plan!). Now all need is, once I get my money back from credit card company after HD.ca went bankrupt, to get proper seating...

3D is a much more mature and increasingly well used technology. I had initially went that route because of kids, I actually enjoying a lot myself!

I'll keep you posted!

See Mojo's signature