Originally Posted By: Chevy
Soon i'll renew my main electical panel, 200amp.

The electician suggest me to put a surge protection module on main distribution panel.(Seimens i don't know model number).
This has the advantage to protect the entire house.
These module has a protection capacity of 1600 joules this is an option of 300-400$ range.

Does it worth it?
Does some of you already have it ?
What are de pro's & cons of it vs small unit like: Monster power HTS 1600, 1800...HDP..2500 ?

my first mind is: main units give a fair protection (1600 joules) to entire house, vs a better protection (5000-6000 joules) for only specific electrical equipment on the house.

I'm living in Quebec, where the power utility is stable.
Your opignon please ?

Whole house surge protection is the way to go. These are the type of surge protectors that actually work.

If a surge is coming from the outside power line the whole house surge protector acts as a path of least resistance. Instead of the surge coming into your home to seek ground in an appliance or electronic device (subwoofer, computer etc), it shunts the surge to your homes outside earth ground, harmlessly. Whole house surge protection follows electrical theory and building/electrical code.

The plug-in surge protectors like the monster are pretty much useless. They don't work. The specs are meaningless on plug-in protectors as well.

Remember that part of the "protection" (really the whole point) of whole-house surge protectors is that it is connected to a single point earth ground. Your homes ground rods and distance from the panel is critical.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne