Update: I got a Yamaha RX-V1800 in really beautiful condition. THe bad part is it came with no manual and it's also missing the little YPAO (sp?) mike that lets it auto adjust the individual speaker levels.

Spent the whole weekend clearing out a room for it, and putting together a TV and audio stand that I bought.

I had the hardest time getting it to work properly. Especially since a "known good" HDMI cable ceased to be good during the hook up process. It was hours of cursing and trying different things.

I'd really like all my input devices, inc. cable box to attach to the receiver via HDMI, and then just send the one HDMI "out" to the TV set. When I tried that, it didn't work - but then later I discovered that the HDMI cable I've used for years between TV and cable box had "gone bad". I practically snatched myself bald over this.

So I will try it again this way soon.

The only speakers I have connected are my M50s as fronts, and then I also hooked up some little Polks wired to the surround speaker outs - but for now I've just got them sitting on top of the M50s. This weekend I should be able to position them correctly and attach my M3v3s, also.

On the front panel, playing stereo CD's through my DVD player via HDMI to to TV and then digital coaxial cable direct to receiver, it only shows "L" and "R" as being active.

I need to research why that is. I'm guessing it's because it recognizes that the signal going in is only 2 channel. I really don't know - but it does concern me. In the stereo modes both sets of speakers do play - but only L and R are displayed.

I have one of my subs hooked up, too. Oddly enough, it doesn't automatically shut itself off when the receiver is off. With my Harman Kardon stereo, it would shut down when no sound was present.

Anyway, I just HAVE to read the manual. Kind of hard to read on my 13" laptop at home. Maybe I can get a hard copy of it on eBay or something.

I ADORE the sound though! Lush but not sloppy. In the 7 channel stereo enhanced mode my ancient CD copy of "Honky Chateau" sounded fantastic. I can only imagine how it would be with an SACD, and all the speakers hooked up.

Anyway, that's where it's at!
smile

Aunty Em
Tampa, FL