So here's a brief update: I strapped the two sets of binding posts together on both speakers so they are no longer bi-wired. And the problem persists: one of the speakers is out of phase relative to the other. The only way that these speakers pass the FOUR different polarity tests I put them through is if one of the speakers has their polarities reversed (it doesn't matter which one).

Brent had me only connect one of the speakers at a time and do the tests on each speaker. When I did that, there was no difference in the test tones between in-phase and out-of-phase. Brent took this to mean there couldn't be a problem with either speaker, but now that I think about it, I have to disagree, since the two speakers are out of phase RELATIVE TO EACH OTHER. Testing one at a time would be inconclusive.

It seems the only thing left to do it grab another pair of speakers (I have an old pair of m22's in storage) and see if the problem persists. If it does, then the problem must be with the amplifier. If it doesn't, then one of my M60's must be wired incorrectly.

I'll report back soon. In the meantime, I'd welcome any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks!

Last edited by leefarber; 08/27/13 12:36 AM.