When I bought, I really thought I would go for an onkyo it was always a good brand. But I read enough about hdmi problems and poor customer service I just couldn't bring myself to buy one.
In the end I bought a Denon 3311 ,which has been really good though they were plagued with network issues, I got lucky and they had an update by the time I bought mine. As suggested get as much audyssey as you can afford, if that sort of thing is important to you. I have a decent room and the difference is negligible with or without audyssey. If I were buying mainstream again I would not hesitate to buy another Denon though I have always been a pioneer guy for 30 yrs, I could be persuaded to go that route . I also have a upper level Yamaha RX-A1000 which is totally reliable and works and sounds great . I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them, just more about features and appearance. Have a look around at some different recievers and then come back and we will all critique them for ya. grin

Richard

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry