Boom, since it appeared that you'd made up your mind to go with tower speakers, I didn't comment further as I had in your previous thread about the merits of M22s plus a good sub. The first thing to keep in mind is that big enclosure doesn't necessarily mean big sound, except in the lowest bass assuming that it's correctly designed. The size of the enclosure largely controls the extent to which it can be tuned for greater bass extension(i.e., lower frequencies, not greater volume). Note that driver and enclosure design are what "control" woofers, and amplifier damping factor, at least anything in the double digits, doesn't add anything. In the mid-range and treble the design and number of drivers determines the ability to play loudly, but enclosure size has no direct influence(has to be big enough to hold the drivers, of course).

As applied to the M22, it should be noted that the all-important mid-range is covered by the same two 5 1/4" drivers in the M22 and M80. The loudness capability of the M22 is essentially identical here and the greater M80 enclosure size is not a significant factor. In the treble, as you comment, the dual M80 tweeters allow for playing more loudly in those frequencies, but more treble volume capability may not be significant in most home listening scenarios, and if so, nothing is being "given up".

The M22 with a good sub(or subs)has superior bass extension and volume capability and essentially identical mid-range and treble quality. This is what I use and suggest for my listening, which is almost entirely classical music.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.