I've been reading a lot lately on this calibration system as it is somewhat confusing to me & everyone seems to have their own method of running the calibration process. I came across a very informative & extensive article over at Home Theater Shack (a site that is a cut above the others out there IMO) that seems to use a radically different approach to mic positioning (link below) from others.

I've always run my calibration using 6 positions that start in front of my center seat & basically circle my rectangular coffee table in front of my 3 seat viewing couch.

As an experiment, yesterday I tried the mic positioning detailed in Section 7, Pattern 101 (minus positions 7 & 8). This calls for the mic to be moved only 3" at a time from Position #1. Unfortunately I did it in a hurry with my tripod on the floor in front of the center seat instead of actually on the couch center cushion.

I played 'Blackhawk Down' & found that the sound was quite different from before but the 'Image Clarity' was indeed greatly improved. I could hear distant gunfire in well placed separate channels that I hadn't noticed before.

I'm going to run another sequence this afternoon with the tripod on the center of the couch cushion to see how that turns out.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/a...html#post622330

Interesting exercise....

TAM