I have received another email with insults about my intellect.

Oh well, good ol' "Block User" works.

Also, for those people that look back at my posts and wonder if I know anything about this hobby, I have been in it for decades. As in my first 5.1 setup was from around 1988. 26 years for some quick math. I still don't know everything, but I do feel like I know and have experienced quite a bit.

Things have changed, including speaker placement recommendations. Sometimes I have been able to follow the guidelines, sometimes I had to experiment and share those experiments with others to help expand on what to do when you can't do "the ideal."

We are seeing a trend in the industry towards taking the side surrounds and moving them slightly forward of the main seating area. When will this show up in recommendations from the big audio groups? Not sure. Just like surround speakers moving from direct to di/bi/quad pole, the industry evolves. Some of the big groups' diagrams show direct radiating, some show a more "dispersion capable" speaker. Most of those are not direct from Dolby, DTS, or THX.

But once again, to answer the original post (how many times have I done this now?) QS8s for rear surrounds work VERY well.

Imagine if people never experimented or deviated from the "rules." I was going to say that we would be stuck with things like leaded gasoline, and then thought, what about horses... Needed to go back further. No internet, no light bulb, no cars, no real technology as we know it. We would not have invention or innovation. We wouldn't have these forums either and this topic would never exist.

I am glad that people are willing to try something new. Look at the QS surrounds. I know of nobody else doing this and they are amazing. Axiom had to deviate from the "rules" to invent that, same with the LFR speakers. Innovation. I love it!

EDIT: Maybe we should keep score. Naw, not worth it. I just received yet another insulting PM while I typed the above. He thinks that he has had the last laugh with his "ha ha, I got the final insult" PM, but I really don't care. I don't know him, and I only bring it up for the better of the community so that they know the type of person they are dealing with when it comes to anything that comes out of his keyboard. The funny thing is that he called me an "old man" because I've been at this for 26 years, and yet he has "been in the business for decades." Considering I started as a teenager...

This topic is done. Beaten to death. I've set up my user block and I am moving on. Let go find another place to share knowledge and helpfulness and let this topic go.

Last edited by nickbuol; 04/07/14 08:48 PM. Reason: More insulting PMs received. YAY

Farewell - June 4, 2020