System:
a. FLAC files on a Logitech Transporter (was Slim Devices)
b. Ayre K5-xe-MP preamp
c. 14B SST amplification
d. Self-built cables (bi-wired to the speakers)
e. M80-v3 circa Dec 2012 or M100 v4 circa two days ago

Thanks much for your help guys. Some more info. The rooms in my place (fortunately) are fairly large. I now have an A/B setup so I can check the two. Yes, I did equalize the volumes to a certain extent. All of the vortexes are open.

More observations:
a. The M80s are more efficient than the M100's (fewer drivers should help, the sensitivity now depends on the crossover)
b. The tweeters on the M100 are supposedly better, but the attack, decay and general quality of treble (including cymbals, wire brushes) seem superior on the M80-v3
c. Yes, the bottom-line bass on the M100 is indeed superior
d. I placed the speakers at least 36" from the back wall, 2' from the side walls, and toed them in a little (about the same on both sides - don't know the angle, but maybe 5 degrees?

Observations:
1. Like yesterday, if I say in the same room as the music system, the M80s are far superior - sound quality, attack, decay and IMAGING. The m100s have seriously muddled imaging
2. Go to the next room, and put a half wall between the speakers and me, and this is NOT intuitive - the IMAGING of the M100s gets really sharp. The M80's - get muddled and are not sharp!!!!
3. I listen to most of my music walking around, but when I want to listen critically, I do not want to go to the next room over.
4. M100's imaging is AWESOME with fewer instruments. What I said above regarding imaging applies to a large orchestras.

Some of this makes sense, most of it does not (to me).

THANKS!!!!!
Bapcha

Last edited by BapchaMan; 05/03/14 02:17 AM. Reason: I DID NOT COMPLETE THE POST