Originally Posted By: Crimson Wrath
If you're mostly using the towers for music with a little HT use then I wonder how much benefit getting the upgraded DSP for the center would give you. While looking at upgrading my VP150 to the VP180 I also don't see much benefit to getting the high powered versions for the center. It's mostly used for dialog in movies, so having the upgraded woofers that can handle higher volume without distortion & compression seems unnecessary unless you're HT listening area is really huge and is seating many people.

As I understand it, the current trend in movie soundtracks is that more and more audio is being included in the centre channel. I also use my HT for music, including multi-channel music and though I have a small room I do have a tendency to crank the volume up. I was fortunate enough to find a VP180HP for a good price in the Axiom Outlet so I snapped it up. I'll get it installed along with my new v4 LFR's once all the pieces come together.

For what it's worth, my guess is that even the difference between the HP vs regular VP180 is probably bigger than the difference between having or not having the centre channel DSP on the VP180. Hopefully we'll get a comment from Ian or Andrew on this...