Originally Posted By: J. B.
i went the simplest way by using cable with RCA to TR (1/4" phone) on the ends.

when a manufacturer specifies an output of 1 volt, it only indicates the output level for a specific input level;
normally preamp outputs should swing higher than that level.

i haven't checked with my current equipment, but on my former preamp, the max undistorted output was something like 16 Vrms, and a standard output of 2 V.
I'm certain it is less with my current preamp, but so far, i've never lacked power in my small room.
maybe in a large room the preamp outs would not give a signal high enough to drive the amps to max output when needed; then, i would try XLR cables, and i also would increase the sensitivity settings of the amps: my surround amps are set at -6 dB and the front amps at -10 dB.
there are some "adapter boxes" made that go between the preamp and the proamp to increase the available voltage in case the preamp output is too low.

Weight: it has nothing to do with sound quality, but everything to do with the type of power supply and the class of amplification used.

Just for the record JB , I did not say anything about the weight having anything to do with sound quality. As an example , Pioneer and their ICE amps. At the time I wrote that I missed where it mention on Crown's site that it was class D and later when I found some pics with the top off and saw the innards. I am old school I admit, in my mind Class D is more suited to subwoofers which is where you most likely to find them and in pro sound where lots of power and efficiency are key. Their is reason they are labeled pro amps, you need to know how to properly implement them, too much gain can equal extra noise and most people like to exceed the limits without understanding the principles. I have seen plenty of sub amps with the gain cranked up because it goes louder. Consumer grade electronic are designed so they play well with each other so the general public doesn't need a degree in electrical engineering to enjoy music. I take it you have the ability and equipment to test these sorts of things based on your above reply, I would love for you to share more of the specs of your equipment, information is always welcome. A lot of specs are left out unfortunately by manufacturers that would help the uninitiated like myself to properly match components. As an example crown does not list voltage gain , though that may be because it as gain controls and a pro would set them with proper equipment (speculation).

Richard

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry