I just got back from the digital abyss... there was something I never liked about CDs, and after my good audio gear went away (long story) I found myself listening to music less and less, and hardly at all over the last couple of years.

Last night something snapped so I ripped a bunch of furniture out of the living room and cleared space for speakers and a decent listening area. Before that the stereo system had been in what was basically the dining room, with the acoustics you might expect.

Sound was much better in the larger space (I remember being really impressed with how good speakers sounded in jakeman's living room with the high cathedral ceiling) but still didn't sound right. Thought it might be time to get back into vinyl so looked around for decent used equipment like I had previously and found less than I expected. Maybe 30 years was too long to wait.

Anyways, went out today and picked up a Debut Carbon turntable and started digging through the 500-odd LPs I managed to hang onto.

Maybe it's the ritual, or placebo effect, or less compressed masters, or maybe I got used to a particular kind of sound, but I'm enjoying music from vinyl *much* more than from digital (at least from CDs, haven't experimented with anything higher res than CD if it exists).

The Christmas list and the recommendations that followed are going to be very handy, thanks !!!

EDIT - it is going to take a while to get used to having to turn the record over every 20 minutes or so wink

Last edited by bridgman; 07/10/14 10:02 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8