So I was watching the video below yesterday about how to set up a room and speakers for "immersive audio" like Dolby Atmos, and I was surprised by what I heard.

The guest was talking about how they are getting a much better benefit by filling in the "hole" between the front main speakers and your surrounds (on the side walls) than even going with overhead speakers.

Hmmm.... Dolby doesn't even really address this with Atmos. They focus on the overhead sound.

Then he was saying that he actually likes using dipole speakers for these new "super wides" mentioned above, the surrounds, and the rear speakers... Even for Atmos.

Hmmm.... Dolby states that they want monopole speakers.

So now I want a 9.2.4 setup. Something to fill in the gap between the front mains and the side surrounds, AND overhead speakers. If I had just a single row of seats, I could possibly do 9.2.2, but with 2 rows, I would do much better with 9.2.4... The problem? Receivers currently max out at a 9.2.2 or 7.2.4 setup. 11 total powered channels, not the 13 the I *want*. Even with 9.2.2 or 7.2.4, those receivers are pretty spendy to get the bells and whistles that I currently have such as Audyssey MultiEQ XTm etc. Plus I still want to see what DTS comes out with.

Sounds like (pun intended) I will be hanging on to my QS8s AND the new M3 on-walls for a while. I guess I can experiment with which I like better until then. Or setup a 5.1 setup in the family room right next to the theater... Oh wait, I would need another receiver for that.

I guess it is true... It is all about the money.

Farewell - June 4, 2020