Randyman, I don't know if you're joking or not so here goes. Electrons don't move through the wire anywhere near the speed of light. In a 12 Ga wire carrying 10A, electrons move 2.22 X 10^-4 m/s. It would take more than an hour for any given electron to move 1 meter! As you can see electrons actually move very slowly, it the SIGNAL that moves fast, not the electrons. It's like when you turn on a hose that is full of water. Water starts pouring out of the end almost instantly. Wire is full of free electrons, all pushing on one another. I would like to know which aspect of Relativity (Special or General) predicts this. The largest particle accelerators cannot even accelerate an electron past the speed of light and they use potentials approaching many, many, many thousands of volts and capacitor banks larger than a house. I would think that excess ions and humidity from salty air would cause some electrons to leak out of exposed wire. Kinda like how it's harder to shock somone with static when it's humid.